Alexandria Felony Lawyer
Fighting Felony Charges in Northern Virginia
Felony charges in Virginia can carry very serious consequences. Depending on the circumstances, you could face prison time, steep fines, and a permanent criminal record. If you have been charged with a felony, you need experienced legal representation. At King, Campbell, Poretz, and Mitchell, our Alexandria felony attorneys have the skills and experience necessary to aggressively defend your rights. We will use our knowledge and experience to challenge the evidence against you, protect your rights, and fight for the best possible results.
If you have been charged with a felony, it is important that you speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Felony charges can be very complex, and it is critical that you obtain legal counsel before you speak to law enforcement or prosecutors. Our Alexandria felony attorneys can use our knowledge and skills to protect your rights, investigate the case against you, and fight for you from start to finish.
What Is a Felony in Virginia?
A felony is a criminal offense that is punishable by more than one year in jail. Felonies are typically more serious than misdemeanors, which are punishable by less than one year in jail. A felony conviction can result in serious penalties, including imprisonment, fines, and a permanent criminal record.
Felony charges in Virginia can include:
- Drug crimes
- White collar crimes
- Sex crimes
- Weapons offenses
- Traffic offenses
- Reckless driving
- Receiving stolen property
- Receiving property from the commission of a felony
- Identity theft
In Virginia, felony crimes are categorized into six classes: Class 1 felony, Class 2 felony, Class 3 felony, Class 4 felony, Class 5 felony, and Class 6 felony. Each class carries different penalties based on the severity of the offense. Here's a breakdown of the felony classes and their corresponding penalties:
- Class 1 Felony: This is the most serious category of felony offenses in Virginia. Examples include capital murder, first-degree murder, and certain drug trafficking offenses. Class 1 felonies are punishable by death, life imprisonment, or imprisonment for a term not less than 20 years and up to life, and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 2 Felony: This class includes crimes such as voluntary manslaughter, aggravated malicious wounding, and certain rape offenses. Class 2 felonies carry a penalty of imprisonment for a term not less than 20 years and up to life, and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 3 Felony: Offenses such as robbery, burglary with a deadly weapon, and certain drug offenses fall into this category. Class 3 felonies are punishable by imprisonment for a term of not less than five years and up to 20 years, and a fine of up to $100,000.
- Class 4 Felony: Crimes like involuntary manslaughter, malicious wounding, and certain drug offenses are classified as Class 4 felonies. The penalty for a Class 4 felony is imprisonment for a term of not less than two years and up to 10 years, and a fine of up to $100,000.
Can My Felony Charge Be Reduced to a Misdemeanor?
In some cases, a Class 5 or Class 6 felony charge can be reduced to a misdemeanor. The Virginia Department of Corrections (VDOC) may be able to reduce a felony charge to a misdemeanor charge. This is only applicable if you are a first-time offender and have been charged with a nonviolent felony. A nonviolent felony is a felony charge that does not involve the use of force against another person.
HOW OUR ALEXANDRIA FELONY DEFENSE ATTORNEYS CAN HELP
Mr. Ryan Campbell is The Great Lawyer! Very knowledgeable about the law and had my case dismissed!- Eduardo O.
Right from the start, I felt like I was in good hands. I could tell Joe King really cared about my situation and believed me.- Mark T.
Mr. King has the ability to really and truly listen, and then starts to strategize from a point of understanding.- Meti L.
From our initial meeting and throughout the process I had a 100% confidence I had made the right choice. Joe was easy to communicate with, very professional.- J.G.
Mr. Campbell went above and beyond to defend me and I am great-full to have representing me.- Habte Z.
My case became so complex and Evelyn managed to be one step ahead each time. She kept me updated at every step.- Rinku S.
Mr. Sherlock is definitely for the people he represents.- Evin R.
I highly recommend Evelyn Mitchell, if your marriage must be dissolved she is a lawyer you can trust to watch for your best interests and bring you to a good conclusion.- Ross B.