America is a very patriotic country. Therefor, allegations of terrorism are taken very seriously in the United States. As a result, it can be difficult for a person accused of terrorism to get a fair trial.
This is only the beginning of challenges faced when defending a against accusations of terrorism. So, whether the charges are state or federal you need to be represented by a terrorism criminal defense lawyer.
Typically, alleged acts of terrorism result in federal criminal charges. Federal laws regarding terrorism are found in 18 U.S. Code Chapter 113B.
Section 2331 defines international terrorism as
- Acts of violence or acts dangerous to human life that violate U.S. criminal laws or that would violate U.S. criminal laws if committed within U.S. jurisdiction.
- The acts must be intended to use mass destruction, assassination, kidnapping, or intimidation and coercion to influence government policy or to affect the public or civilians.
- The acts must transcend national boundaries in terms of who they hope to coerce or intimidate, or the acts must occur outside of the territorial jurisdiction of the U.S.
Domestic Terrorism is defined by Section 2331 as:
- Acts that violate U.S. criminal laws and/or that are dangerous to human life.
- Acts that are intended to use assassination, kidnapping, mass destruction, or intimidation and coercion to influence government policy or civilians.
- The acts must occur primarily within U.S. jurisdiction.
There are many criminal penalties for engaging in terrorism. While they vary depending on the specifics of the actions and the outcome, consequences can be very severe.
For instance, penalties can range from minor charges to life in prison, or even the death penalty. Moreover, federal authorities tend to be very harsh and aggressive when charging people accused of involvement with terrorism.
Therefore, it is so important to have a great criminal defense lawyer representing you. It could mean the difference between life in prison or walking away with your freedom.[Related: Homicide Defense Attorney]
Terrorism Criminal Defense Lawyer Virginia
To sum up, a terrorism criminal defense lawyer will help you understand the charges against you. First, they can fight to ensure your rights are protected and you receive a fair trial.
Secondly, your lawyer can raise defenses and introduce evidence to the jury on your behalf. Prosecutors are not often open to leniency, but your lawyer may be able to negotiate a plea bargain and limit penalties if you choose not to go to court. If you are facing terrorism charges, contact us today.
King Campbell Poretz Mitchell has the experience and qualifications necessary to mount the best terrorism criminal defense for you. We have experience with the types of cases and possess extensive knowledge on the subject. Let us fight for you!