If you are a first time DUI offender, you will need to hire the best DUI attorney in Loudoun County to represent you.
Understanding a DUI
If you have been convicted for a DUI in Virginia, you would likely have operated a motor vehicle while under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
This is a Class 1 Misdemeanor in Virginia.
This can occur if you are physically driving your motor vehicle, or even if you are sitting in the driver’s seat with the key inserted into the ignition without moving the vehicle.
What Constitutes a DUI?
To determine if you are under the influence and qualify for a DUI, a blood test is typically performed.
You will be charged with a DUI if any of the following are true:
- You are over age 21 with a BAC of 0.08% or more
- You are under age 21 with a BAC of 0.02% or more
- You are a commercial driver with a BAC of 0.04% or more
- You are under their influence of drugs that impair your ability to drive safely
- You are under a combination of drugs and alcohol that impairs your ability to drive safely
- Your blood results indicate consumption of cocaine, methamphetamine, phencyclidine, or 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine
There is a mandatory fine of $250 for a first time offense.
However, your punishment may be harsher depending on your blood test results.
Additionally, you should expect your license to be suspended and to have to complete an alcohol safety program.
When to Hire a DUI Attorney in Loudoun County
If you would like to challenge your punishments based on your DUI, it is time to call a lawyer.
Your lawyer can help you do the following where applicable:
- Challenge the stop of the car
- Challenge the conclusions of the officer
- Challenge the blood test results
- Challenge the facts
To hire an expert DUI attorney, call the law offices of King Campbell Portez today at (703) 468-8557.