Civil law is a broad area that handles and regulates the rights and duties of individuals in relationship to one another outside of the criminal justice system. Where criminal cases involve the alleged violations of criminal laws and their penalties, civil law generally involves disputes or alleged injuries or wrongs (also called torts) in which financial damages are sought or court orders are issued for the performance of a duty or cessation of some activity. These cases can involve conflicts over contracts, property, family relationships, and wrongs that cause bodily injury or property damage, and more.
At King, Campbell, Poretz, and Mitchell, we are dedicated to providing economical solutions to your civil law needs. Our civil litigators have extensive experience in conflict resolution resolved through alternative means outside of court as well as in civil courts. We have prosecuted and defended multifarious civil matters including a variety of commercial disputes, negligence, and intentional torts, real property and land use issues, contract and will contests, and fiduciary concerns. No matter what type of civil matter you face, our team has the knowledge, resources, and necessary skills to help you reach the best possible outcome based on your needs and goals.
You can reach King, Campbell, Poretz, and Mitchell to set up a consultation with a Leesburg & Alexandria, VA civil attorney at (703) 468-8557. Hablamos español.
Our team handles a wide variety of civil matters, as stated above, including:
- Personal injury. If you have been injured due to the negligence or wrongdoing of another party, you may have grounds to pursue financial compensation for all of your losses and damages in a claim or lawsuit.
- Business law. This area of law handles all of the legal matters and challenges business owners face, such as business formation, contractual issues, employment issues, compliance with state or federal regulations, operational challenges, partnership or corporate disputes, and more.
- Landlord-tenant disputes. We handle disputes related to laws that protect both landlords and tenants, including eviction matters, rental agreement and lease violations, and more.
- Contract disputes. Contracts form the basis of important business relationships. We can help draft and review contracts as well as represent your best interests in dispute negotiations or litigation.
- Commercial litigation. Commercial or corporate litigation can be based on diverse disputes, such as antitrust cases, breach of duty, breach of contract, debtor-creditor matters, insurance disputes, fraud allegations, product liability claims, shareholder issues, unfair competition claims, and more.
- General civil litigation. This is a broad term that covers any civil dispute, such as those mentioned above that can cover conflicts involving businesses and corporations, real estate, construction, employment, copyrights and trademarks, unfair business practices, injunctions and other relief, false advertising, defamation, intellectual property, and any other dispute between two parties that exists outside of the criminal justice system.
- Guardian and conservator. Where a minor or a disabled adult needs a trusted person designated to care for them or manage their affairs, a guardianship or conservatorship must be sought through the courts. We can assist in seeking these or contesting them through proper legal action.
“Mr. Ryan Campbell is The Great Lawyer! Very knowledgeable about the law and had my case dismissed!” - Eduardo O.
“My case became so complex and Evelyn managed to be one step ahead each time. She kept me updated at every step.” - Rinku S.
“Mr. Sherlock is definitely for the people he represents.” - Evin R.
While civil disputes between parties often cannot be avoided, when one arises it is highly recommended that you seek the help of an experienced civil law attorney as soon as possible. Our attorneys can work to help you resolve issues before they escalate, become more complicated, or lead to costly, time-consuming, and stressful adverse litigation. Our team will do everything possible to help you settle out of court. Having an experienced, skilled, and dedicated attorney proactively working on your behalf can be the key to effective and efficient solutions that can save you time, money, and emotional turmoil.