Postnuptial Agreements Alexandria Northern Virginia
Postnuptial agreements can be difficult thing to navigate. For this reason, it is highly recommended that you choose an experienced postnuptial agreements lawyer in Alexandria Virginia to ensure that you are making the best decision.
Under Virginia Code 20-155, married couples can enter into postnuptial agreements. This is a contract like prenuptial agreements, but it is created after the wedding, rather than before. The terms permitted in a postnuptial agreement are similar to the ones in a premarital agreement. These include:
- Any legal term which does not violate the public policy of Virginia
- Spousal support provided by either party
- Provisions regarding wills and trusts of each party
- Disposition of the assets of the couple in the event of divorce
- The rights of and the obligations to the property of either party
“Mr. Ryan Campbell is The Great Lawyer! Very knowledgeable about the law and had my case dismissed!” - Eduardo O.
“My case became so complex and Evelyn managed to be one step ahead each time. She kept me updated at every step.” - Rinku S.
“Mr. Sherlock is definitely for the people he represents.” - Evin R.
Do I Need a Postnuptial Agreement?
Typically, couples choose to enter into a postnuptial agreement if they did not execute a prenuptial agreement and want to do so now. Also, a postnuptial agreement can be used to amend or revoke an existing prenuptial agreement. Many times couples elect a postnuptial agreement to protect their rights after infidelity (cheating) or an inheritance.
Another reason couples may choose a postnuptial agreement is if a spouse wishes to designate a beneficiary of their estate who is not their spouse, or if one spouse enters a partnership and wants to protect those assets from the spouse in the event of divorce.
Like prenuptial agreements, postnuptial agreements must be in writing and signed by both parties to be enforceable.
Postnuptial Agreements Lawyer
There are several benefits to having an experienced Virginia family attorney providing services related to your postnuptial agreements.
- Assessing the legal validity of existing prenuptial or postnuptial agreements
- Negotiating and drafting services in the creation of postnuptial agreements
- Assessing financial assets and property of the parties (as it relates to the terms of the agreement)
- Enforcement of an existing postnuptial agreement
- Assessing whether an existing postnuptial agreement may be challenged or invalidated
Postnuptial Agreements in Alexandria, Arlington and Northern Virginia
To create an enforceable postnuptial agreement, you must comply with the requirements of Virginia law. Your draft of the agreement has to be clear and concise for the agreement to be enforceable. Virginia postnuptial agreements lawyers have extensive experience with these formalities, as well as a deep understanding of the law. If you are considering a postnuptial agreement, contact the skilled attorneys at King, Campbell, Poretz, & Mitchell.